Gumroad is a popular solution for selling digital products, physical products, and memberships. It is free to use, and you don’t even need to have a website.
But if you feel the path that Gumroad offers is too sticky and bumpy, there are many alternatives you can experiment with. We’re listing 14 similar solutions to launch and sell products.
An overview of Gumroad
Here’s an overview of Gumroad to help you compare it with the alternatives.
Gumroad is a popular e-commerce solution for digital creators and infopreneurs to sell products. With Gumroad, you don’t need a website or hosting service. Simply upload your product onto the platform, add a description, set a price, and share the link with customers.
- List products and sell them directly or embed the code on your website
- Memberships and subscriptions help you generate recurring revenue
- “Pay what you want” feature gives customers the freedom to choose a price they can afford
- Analytics helps you better understand your audience and product preferences
- Charges higher fees for each transaction
- Only minimal customizations are possible
Gumroad charges you percentage of your earnings for each sale you make. The fee decreases as you reach earning milestones.
Here are the different fees depending on your lifetime earnings:
- $0 to $1,000: 9% + 30c per transaction
- $1,000 to $10,000: 7% + 30c per transaction
- $10,000 to $100,000: 5% + 30c per transaction
- $100,000 to $1,000,000: 3% + 30c per transaction
- $1,000,000+: 2.9% + 30c per transaction
Top Gumroad alternatives in 2022
Soundwise is a unique tool in this list as it exclusively suits podcasters and other audio content creators. You can use it to sell audio programs and premium podcasts and make money or give them away to build an email list you can monetize later.
- Sell audio programs and premium podcasts for a one-time fee or offer subscriptions and rentals
- Offer free trials and samples to give potential customers a taste
- Create web and mobile-optimized sales pages to promote your programs
- Collect listener feedback and improve products
- Directly integrates with very few software
Soundwise has four paid plans:
- Starter: $23 per month
- Plus: $59 per month
- Pro: $119 per month
- Platinum: $469 per month
But you can get it for life for a one-time fee of just $59 on AppSumo.
You can even take it for a spin with a 15-day trial.
HYPAGE is a product bio page with a twist. It allows you to monetize your bio link through digital products, memberships, and donations. To make the process smoother, HYPAGE has a built-in payment processor that helps you directly accept payments.
- Sell digital products such as courses, memberships, and premium gated content
- Accept requests and donations from fans
- Convert visitors to email subscribers
- Has very few integrations
HYPAGE has three plans:
- Free: $0 per month
- Pro: $19 per month
- Enterprise: $39 per month
You can also get it for life for a one-time payment of just $49 on AppSumo.
HYPAGE doesn’t offer a trial, but you can test it with the free plan.
Payhip appears very similar to Gumroad, but it focuses on digital products, and has paid plans. Depending on the plan you pick, you can either reduce or eliminate your transaction fee from the start.
- Sell digital products and online courses that require a one-time fee or memberships that generate recurring revenue
- Invite affiliates and manage them with the affiliate system
- Craft high converting sales pages with the store builder
- Limited customization options
- Free plan has a high transaction rate of 5%
Payhip offers three plans:
- Free Forever: $0 per month
- Plus: $29 per month
- Pro: $99 per month
It doesn’t offer a trial, but you can try it with the free plan.
4. Easy Digital Downloads
As the name suggests, Easy Digital Downloads simplifies selling digital products from your WordPress website. One of the great features of this plugin is that it offers extensions that you can use to improve the functionality.
- Transform your WordPress website into a digital products ecommerce store
- Maintain customer records and track KPIs such as customer lifetime value
- Accept payments with credit cards or Paypal
- Only works on WordPress websites
- No monthly payment option
Easy Digital Downloads offers five payment plans:
- Personal Pass: $199.50 per year
- Extended Pass: $399.50 per year
- Professional Pass: $599.50 per year
- All Access Pass: $999.50 per year
Easy Digital Downloads doesn’t offer a trial, but there’s a free version of the plugin.
Samcart is a popular tool for selling digital products and services such as coaching. It’s mainly known for features such as the order bump and one-click upsell that improve your average order value.
- Create aesthetic and high converting check out pages
- One-click upsells, order bumps, A/B split testing, and reports help improve conversion rate and ROI
- Pay what you want feature allows customers to set their price
- Features such as upsells and order bumps are only available with the Grow and Scale plans, which are a bit expensive
- There’s no free plan
Samcart has three paid plans:
- Launch: $49 per month
- Grow: $99 per month
- Scale: $199 per month
You can test it with the 7-day trial.
Sellfy is an ecommerce platform for creators to sell both digital and physical products. It offers features such as email marketing, discount codes, and upsells to help you generate maximum sales.
- Create a beautiful storefront that displays all your products
- List and sell digital and physical products and subscriptions
- Offers a print-on-demand option for merchandise
- Users must get a paid plan to sell digital products and subscriptions
Sellfy has four paid options:
- Free: $0 per month
- Starter: $29 per month
- Business: $79 per month
- Premium: $159 per month
You can sample the paid plans with a free 14-day trial.
Patreon is popular among creators for accepting recurring monetary support from their audience, often in exchange for exclusive content. Many creators offer various membership tiers where they give away premium content and other bonuses.
- Monetize your creator career with paid monthly memberships from fans
- Nurture relationships with patrons by sharing posts
- Integrates with several tools and platforms
- No option to accept one-time payments
Patreon offers three plans. You can sign up for all three for free, but they each requires that you pay a different commission.
The three plans are:
- Lite: 5% of what you earn
- Professional: 8% of what you earn
- Premium: 12% of what you earn
If this model appeals to you, you might also want to check out our post on Patreon alternatives.
You can use Hyax to sell almost anything. This includes digital and physical products, courses, and memberships. You can also create landing pages and funnels to promote your products.
- Create landing pages to sell products or get people to sign up to your lead magnets
- Create multi-step funnels that include upsells and order bumps
- Accept payments via PayPal or Stripe
- No free plan, and all plans are pricey
- Can only remove branding if you subscribe to the Advanced plan or higher
Hyax has three paid plans:
- Beginner: $99 per month
- Advanced: $199 per month
- Enterprise: Custom pricing
You can test it with a free trial.
SendOwl is an affordable tool for selling digital products such as ebooks, audiobooks, photography, memberships, and online courses. You can integrate it with your website, blog, and even Shopify.
- Sell products on multiple platforms, including social media
- Features such as promo codes, cart abandonments, one-click upsell, and pay-what-you-want pricing help boost conversions
- Set download limits to prevent sharing of products
- Limited customization options
SendOwl has four payment options:
- Just the basics: $9 per month
- Standard: $15 per month
- Premium: $24 per month
- Business: $39 per month
You can also take it for a spin with the 30-day trial.
E-junkie is another website for selling digital and physical products. It’s very affordable and lets you accept payments with various payment gateways.
- Inexpensive pricing plans starting at just $5 per month
- Stamp buyer’s name, transaction ID, and email on ebooks to prevent them from distributing
- Use download codes to sell them offline
- Not the best interface for your storefront and check-out pages
E-junkie offers four payment plans:
You can also sign up for a 30-day trial.
ThriveCart is a Samcart alternative that many people prefer as you get lifetime access to it with a one-time fee. It has many exciting features such as joint venture contracts, business projections, and subscription saver functionality.
- Automatic sales tax calculation feature helps you charge the right amount
- Create checkout pages and funnels with bumps and upsells to boost average order value
- Affiliate center helps you manage affiliates and grow your revenue
- No free plan or trial, and you need to pay a hefty one-time fee to get access
ThriveCart has two paid plans:
- ThriveCart Lifetime Account: $1,995
- ThriveCart Pro: $2,995
There’s no free plan or trial.
Everybody knows that Shopify is one of the best ecommerce store builders. But many don’t know that it offers apps that make it easy to sell digital products such as ebooks and video courses.
- Shopify’s Digital Download App and other third-party apps such as Thinkific allow you to sell downloadable products and online courses
- Offers many other apps and integrations
- Offers free email marketing software to capture and nurture subscribers
- Subscribing to Shopify and its premium apps can get expensive
Shopify has three paid plans:
- Basic: $29 per month
- Shopify: $79 per month
- Advanced: $299 per month
PayKickstart is mainly known for its subscription billing system to accept recurring payments, but you can also accept one-time payments. You can use it to sell courses, software, ebooks, and services.
- Accept payment via credit cards, wallets, PayPal, and even bank transfers
- Subscription management feature helps increase customer lifetime value and minimize churn
- Affiliate Management helps run and track affiliate programs
- No free plan, and prices are on the higher side
PayKickstart has three paid plans:
- Starter: $99 per month
- Growth: $199
- Scale: $299
WooComerce is an open-Web Design Singapore ecommerce platform for WordPress sites. It is also free to use and helps you create beautiful storefronts and landing pages.
- Easily add ecommerce functionality to your WordPress website
- Themes and Extensions help you quickly set up a store and start accepting payments
- Customize stores with builders like Elementor or with a professional designer
- Only works on websites built with WordPress
WooCommerce is free to use, but you need to pay extra for premium extensions and themes.
Did you find a suitable Gumroad alternative?
Gumroad is a great tool that is free to use. But those high commission rates can eat into your profits and limit the funds you can invest back into your business. This is why it is better to use an alternative where you pay a monthly fee and get back a higher percentage of your profits.
Depending on your budget and the type of products you sell, there are many options. For example, Soundwise would be ideal for promoting premium podcasts, while Samcart is better for online courses.
To save even more money, check out the AppSumo store. We regularly have deals for software such as Soundwise and HYPAGE. You can simply pay a one-time fee and get these products for life.
Is it easy to sell on Gumroad?
Yes, it is pretty easy to use. Upload your products, set the price, and share the product links with prospective buyers.
What’s the best alternative to Gumroad?
Payhip is the best alternative to Gumroad. It offers many similar features, and it also has paid options that lower or eliminate commision fees.
Is Gumroad like Patreon?
Although both tools are popular among digital creators, they are very different. Patreon’s features are focused on accepting recurring membership payments and nurturing your supporters, while Gumroad is all about selling digital products.
The post 14 Gumroad Alternatives to Sell Products and Get Donations first appeared on iPixel Creative.